Friday, August 1, 2008

Deus ex Machina: A Human Excised

As most of you almost certainly don’t know, I like to arrange music for fun and profit. Mostly fun. Profit would be better. Anyway, the attached audio is from a piano duet I put together about three years ago and just recently rediscovered the midi file for which after I thought I had accidentally deleted it in the great hard drive crash of aught-five. (Kids: save early and often.)

Some interesting notes about this piece (hehe, get it?): I didn’t play a single note of it. At the time I originally made this I was trying to create a song using nothing but my midi sequencer and various utilities designed for improvisation, accompaniment and basically just being lazy about the simple parts. The title is a reference to the fact that it is mostly computer generated, although I did have to put considerable time into post-processing, and I created the chord progression because it turns out that machines suck at that.

As a bonus I have also included the sheet music as a PDF file. If you have any interest in actually performing this with a friend, let me know and I will split the score into two separate pieces of sheet music; one for each piano. (Note to self: figure out how to do that.)

The audio file from Archive.org:
http://www.archive.org/details/DeusExMachina

The sheet music:
http://www.archive.org/download/DeusExMachina/DeusExMachinaByDilbrentgmail.com.pdf

No comments: